Friday, May 8, 2009

"The Other Family" Revisited

I've been wanting to post more of our story with the Gour family for sometime, and decided that I would sit down and do it today.
Most everyone who has been following our story for awhile knows that in January of 2008, we had the privilege of reviewing a file of a wonderful baby girl with nearly the exact same diagnosis as Ava's. We received her file on a Thursday, and had the week-end to research her diagnosis and discuss her info with docs, etc. There were many unknowns and it seemed daunting, but we decided she was our daughter by Friday evening. We told the boys they had a sister, named her Hope, and began excitedly showing her pic to friends and family. But, on Saturday I felt God whispering to me, "She belongs with HER family, not yours." I didn't want to listen, but eventually Chris and I realized we had no choice, we had to let her go. I remember feeling like I was looking this angel in the face and saying, "Sorry, your not the one for us." It was absolutely gut-wrenching. Her file was immediately locked by another CHI family and we were thrilled. We were able to locate the family and began corresponding with them a few weeks before they travelled to China to bring home Claire Hope Kangtong Gour. Our families connected in a way that just confirmed to us both that it was truly the work of God. It was truly healing for both of us. Our story was even featured in our agency's newsletter last year. (I have a link to the story in an earlier blog post.)
Anyway, fast forward to March of this year, we had just accepted the referral of our precious Ava, and I was beginning to have all these doubts start creeping into my head. I hadn't realized just how much the travelling costs and fees had increased over the 3 years we had been waiting. How would we ever come up with the money so quickly? Was this truly our daughter, or was I once again going against the will of God? I began my morning devotions and asked God to lead me to a scripture. I immediately opened my bible to Jeremiah 32:26-27 "Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: 'I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?" Wow! You'd think think that would be enough, but no, I asked for more confirmation. I then turned to Romans 8: 12-17. "So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh-for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die: but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out 'Abba! Father!' The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him."
Okay, that was enough or so I thought. I thanked God for his comforting words, then went to check my e-mails. There was one from Chelsea Gour, mama to the precious angel we reviewed. I just had to share what she wrote:


"Chris and Tammy,
We are rejoicing with you! So happy! When I got this email, I saw the name and then scrolled down to the picture and all I could do was cry! A few weeks ago, I was scribbling in a notebook and wrote down our kids names and at the bottom I added Ava. Paul came across the page later and playfully fussed at me for naming another child. He teases me that I won't ever let us have an empty nest because I will keep adding children to it! Anyway, when I saw posts to the yahoo group about a waiting list posted, I had to check it out. Of course, we are in no way ready to start over yet and I knew we had to have a dossier in China to even review a child. I just wanted to see who was out there. I wasn't attracted to any of the children really though, and then they posted that some more children had been added so I took another peek. Of course I was immediately attracted to the little girl whose diagnosis was meningocele! I looked at all her pictures and her reports and just loved her right away. I said, in my ongoing conversations with God, "see, she could be Ava"! When I got your email and found out she IS AVA, your Ava, I couldn't believe it! I am so happy for all of you and for Ava too! If she can't be my Ava, she should be yours! I am glad she's yours!"

God truly sends us angels at exactly the moment we need them. Chelsea is my angel!
I asked Chelsea recently if I had ever told her that we had chosen the name "Hope" for her daughter. She replied:

" And, you did not tell us that you had chosen Hope for Claire. It was always our intention to name her Claire (Chinese Name) Gour. I really didn't want 4 names. But, after getting approval for Claire, I got this overwhelming feeling to name her Hope, while we were in church. I leaned over to tell Paul, but he was confused. I explained later that we had to name her Claire Hope Kangtong Gour! I guess that was God's way of honoring your family."

They had chosen Hope for her middle name several weeks before we had even met. I told Chelsea that our story sounded totally unbelievable, but it was completely true!! There's no way this was all just coincidence, it was truly GOD!!!! He never ceases to amaze me with His wondrous works.
If you get the chance, PLEASE take a moment to visit the Gour's blog. I promise, you will be inspired by this incredible family!! The link is in my list of blogs.
No word yet on our TA, but should be hearing something soon. Please pray that all of our paperwork, (homestudy, immigration apporoval, etc) gets completed before June 4th, otherwise we will have to delay our travel until June 25th.

No comments: